Can You Play PS4 Disc Games on PS5 Digital?
If you recently upgraded to the new PlayStation 5 (PS5) gaming console, you may be wondering if you can continue to play your existing PS4 disc games or digital games on the new console. This article explains what is and isn’t possible.
What Can You Do?
The PS5 has a feature called “Backward Compatibility” that allows you to play some of your existing PS4 games on the new console. It’s not possible to play all PS4 games on the PS5, but a good selection is available:
- Physical PS4 discs, when inserted into the new PS5 console.
- Digital PS4 games that were purchased and downloaded directly to the PS4 console.
- Digital PS4 games that were bought from the Sony PlayStation Store and added to your account.
What’s Not Possible?
Unfortunately, the PS5 does not support the following:
- Playing physical PS4 discs on the PS5 digital version.
- Adding physical PS4 discs to a digital library.
- Using a PS4 disc in the PS5 to download a PS4 game onto the PS5.
- Using a PS4 disc in the PS5 to play downloaded content.
- Playing physical PS4 discs in the PS5 without a physical disc.
The Benefits of Backward Compatibility
The good news is that you can continue to play the games you previously enjoyed on your PS4 console without having to buy them again. This means you can benefit from the improved graphics and game enhancements that are available with the PS5 but still enjoy the same titles.
If you own a PS4 and recently upgraded to the PS5, then it is possible to play a good selection of physical PS4 discs and digital PS4 games on the new system. However, it is not possible to play physical PS4 discs on the PS5 digital version or add physical PS4 discs to a digital library.