How Long Does a Professional Basketball Game Last?
A professional basketball game typically lasts 48 minutes, though there are several factors that can increase or decrease this time. Here are some things that can affect the length of a basketball game:
- NBA: 12 minutes per quarter
- NCAA: 10 minutes per quarter
- WNBA: 10 minutes per quarter
Teams are allowed a certain number of timeouts each game, which can add time to a basketball game. The number of timeouts allowed depends on the level:
- NBA: 6 full timeouts plus one 20 second timeout per team
- NCAA: 4 full timeouts plus one 30 second timeout per team
- WNBA: 4 full timeouts plus one 30 second timeout per team
If the game is tied at the end of regulation, the teams play an overtime period. Overtimes can be one, two, or three periods, depending on the length of the overtime and the level of the game.
- NBA: 5 minutes per overtime
- NCAA: 5 minutes per overtime
- WNBA: 8 minutes per overtime
If a game goes to double or triple overtime, each period is usually longer than the standard 5 or 8 minutes.
In summary, a professional basketball game can last anywhere from 48 minutes to several overtime periods. The length of the game is determined by the quarter length, number of timeouts, and number of overtime periods.