How Long is a Soccer Game?
Soccer is one of the most popular sports in the world, but have you ever wondered how long a soccer game typically lasts?
The length of a soccer game depends on the level of competition and the rules being followed. A typical soccer game lasts a total of 90 minutes, which includes two 45 minute halves. In certain governing bodies, like those in professional play, the halftime rest period is usually 15 minutes.
If the result of the game is a draw after the 90 minutes of regular time, then extra time is added. In some competitions, extra time( or ET) is divided into two 15-minute halves, for a total of 30 minutes. In other competitions, two periods of 10 minutes may be used.
If the result is still a draw after extra time, the game goes to penalty shootouts to determine a victor. Penalty shootouts consist of five attempts from the penalty spot for each team. If the score remains a draw after the first five shootouts, then two additional attempts are taken for each team until one of them has scored more goals than the other.
Average Time Games Last
When all is said and done, the average soccer game length is usually around 2 hours, including any extra time and penalty shootouts that may be necessary.
- A soccer game typically lasts 90 minutes, split into two 45 minute halves.
- If the result after 90 minutes is a draw, extra time is added.
- Extra time is usually two 15-minute periods, or two 10-minute periods.
- If the result is still a draw after extra time, penalty shootouts may be used to determine a victor.
- On average, a soccer game can last for up to 2 hours.