The Record for Most Points Scored in a NFL Game
The National Football League (NFL) has seen its fair share of highscoring games throughout its storied history. But, none of them compare to the highest-scoring game of all time. On November 2010, the New York Giants and Washington Redskins combined for a whopping final score of, drum roll please, 72 points .
The Highest Scoring NFL Games of All Time
Given the extreme nature of this rivalry game, it’s no surprise that it holds the record for most points ever scored in a NFL game. But that’s not to say there aren’t games that come close. Here are the 6 highest scoring NFL Games of all time:
- 1. New York Giants vs. Washington Redskins (November 2010): 72 points scored
- 2. Cleveland Browns vs. Detroit Lions (October 1954): 70 points scored
- 3. San Francisco 49ers vs. Philadelphia Eagles (October 1949): 69 points scored
- 4. New Orleans Saints vs. Los Angeles Rams (November 2016): 68 points scored
- 5. Detroit Lions vs. Oakland Raiders (September 2008): 67 points scored
- 6. Denver Broncos vs. New Orleans Saints (November 2020): 66 points scored
How Did This Record-Breaking Game Go Down?
The Giants and Redskins combined for seven touchdowns and five field goal attempts in this nail-biter of a game. The Giants ultimately won 37-35, thanks to a late drive orchestrated by quarterback Eli Manning. Interestingly enough, the Redskins also had their moments as well, mounting a remarkable 21-point come-from behind effort in the fourth quarter. But, in the end, it was Manning and the Giants who emerged victorious.
At the end of the day, this game stands as a legendary reminder of the drama and excitement that the NFL can bring.