Benefits Of Eating Before A Basketball Game
Basketball games take a lot of physical and mental energy. Many people assume that having a full stomach hinders performance, but that’s not true with basketball. Eating the right foods before a game can help your energy levels, improve overall performance and reduce injuries.
Carbohydrates help fuel the body during exercise. Eating a mix of complex carbohydrates, such as breads and pastas, and simple carbohydrates, such as fruit and certain vegetables, before the game helps produce the energy you need while playing.
Maintaining healthy protein levels before, during and after a game can help retain and build muscle mass, reduce soreness and repair tiny tears in muscle or connective tissue, reducing the risk of injury.
Foods To Eat Before A Basketball Game
Before your basketball game, try to include some of the following items in your meal or snack.
- Whole Grain Cereal With Milk: The grain cereals provide complex carbohydrates for energy, and the milk provides protein for muscle building.
- Tuna Sandwich: The tuna provides healthy protein, and the bread provides complex carbohydrates.
- Fruit: Fruit such as apples, oranges and bananas provide simple carbohydrates and are also full of essential vitamins and minerals.
- Nuts: Nuts are filled with healthy fats and protein, making them great snacks to have before a game.
- Vegetables: Vegetables such as broccoli, zucchini, peppers and carrots provide essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Eating the right foods before a basketball game can help your performance and reduce your risk of injury. Choose whole grain breads, pastas and cereals, as well as proteins from lean meats, nuts and eggs. Fruit, nuts and vegetables provide essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that may help reduce fatigue and soreness after a game.