Tennessee Clemson Football Game Recap
Yesterday, the Tennessee Volunteers and the Clemson Tigers faced off for the college football game of the season. The winner would go on to compete for the national championship. Here is the final scoop from the Tennessee Clemson football game.
Tennessee Wins by 7 Points
The Volunteers were able to edge out the victory with a final score of 23-16. This was a close game full of turnovers, but in the end Tennessee’s defensive strength prevailed. The head coach of the Volunteers, Jeremy Pruitt said, “This was a supremely hard fought game. We’re proud to be moving on to the national title game.”
Turnovers Decide The Game
The most notable part of this game was the numerous turnovers between both teams. Both quarterbacks threw multiple interceptions, and the Tennessee defense was able to bring one back for a touchdown. It was their defense that ultimately led them to victory.
Notable Stats and Facts
• Tennessee Quarterback Brian Maurer completed 25 of 37 passes for 352 yards and 1 touchdown
• Clemson Quarterback Trevor Lawrence threw for 214 yards, 1 touchdown, and 2 interceptions
• Tennessee Running Back Eric Gray ran for 153 yards and 2 touchdowns
• Clemson Running Back Travis Etienne was limited to only 50 yards
• The Volunteer defense sacked Lawrence 8 times
What This Game Means
This win for the Tennessee Volunteers gives them a chance at the national title. University of Tennessee president Joseph DiPietro said, “This is a huge accomplishment for us. We are ecstatic for this opportunity and can’t wait to see what our team can do.”
In the end the game was strongly favored by Tennessee. Good defense, strong rushing game, and a few key turnovers helped them on their way to a historic victory.